Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Here is another fun sign....This was in the airport in Hianan. It says "Please don't collide the glass." Hmmm...I don't think I have ever seen anyone collide glass before. We love finding these signs. Abi and I always get a giggle when we take a taxis here. They play an English recording that says. "welcome to take my taxi" .... For a while we thought this was just the way the taxi companies communicated but on our napkins on Shanghai Air it was printed...."Welcome to take our airplane" No mater how many times we hear this it still cracks us up. But then we are easily amused these days.
I interviewed four Ayi's today. We went to lunch after the first three thinking that I was going to have to start the search all over again. But....while we were at lunch one of the agents called and said she had a second candidate that she wanted me to interview. Bingo!!! I hired her this afternoon. Her name is Xiao Zhang. Xiao means "young" and her surname is Zhang....same as our driver Mr. Zhang. I guess this is really not that unusual in China because there are not very many surnames. I think this comes from the days of the "clans" where an entire village would have the same last name. Xiao Zhang is Chinese, 26 years old, has a 4 year old son and lives in Shanghai. She speaks a little bit of English and seems very eager to learn new things. She will start on Monday. I better go practice my Chinese......

No comments: