Monday, August 4, 2008

I went to the Shanghai Center today to get my hair cut. And....as I always do...I went into the Portman hotel to use the restroom......they have really nice "facilities" and it was a long drive from JinQiao. I stepped in the door and Holy Cow...police everywhere and security guards and a wand machine and a luggage scanner! Did we take a wrong turn and somehow end up at the airport? I thought to myself.....someone really important must be staying here....and...since I didn't tell them I was coming I knew that all the security was not for me..ha ha!! I acted like I was staying in the hotel and went right through the security check. And...the restroom was really great!
I was still a little early for my hair cut so I exited the hotel and went to find the ATM machine. The machines were surrounded by several young women all looking very American. So...I waited my turn for the next available machine. While I was extracting my cash one of the girls (and I do mean girls...I am sure if we did the math they could all be my daughters) asked me what the exchange rate was for China. So.....I told her and then helped her do the math to withdraw $300. Then I asked her what she was doing in Shanghai? She said...I am a dancer for the American Basketball team. Ahhhhhh!!! I guessed that the players were also staying in the hotel....thus all the security. Then I went upstairs to the hair salon and followed two of the basketball players into Tony and Guy. OH MY GOSH...they are sooooooo tall. They had a very short discussion with the clerk and then left the salon. Since I am not an avid basketball fan I could not identify them....

After my hair cut....I went to Starbucks and there were two more basketball players. They were not Americans...they were members of the Russian Basketball team. So....I guess they are all staying in the same hotel. I just hope the American team members can stay out of trouble!!!!

No comments: