Friday, May 2, 2008

Day Four in Malaysia....

Tim went golfing this morning and Abi drove his cart.....I think she was feeling "the need for speed!".

This afternoon we swam and then went to the nature reserve. The reserve is very close to our hotel and was created to rehabilitate monkeys that have been captured and domesticated.

Trivia question......How do you spell O-rang-a-tang?
Answer....Orang Utan No kidding!!! It is two words and that is the correct spelling. It means "man of the forest" I know you were very curious about this.....right?

Anyway...the reserve takes young Orang Utans and teaches them to live on their own in the wild. They come to this reserve first (64 acres of jungle) and learn to feed themselves and live on their own and then they are transferred to another reserve if they pass rehabilitation. I can hear it now.... "Hello, my name is Johnny Orang Utan....and...I am have been feeding myself for three months." (Can you tell it is late? I think I might be a little jet lagged.) We hiked into the jungle a very short distance and found several small gray monkeys and three Orang Utans. The ranger said there are 7 Orang Utans in this reserve. The three we saw are all about three years old and OH MY GOSH.....they are soooooooooooo cute!!! I wanted to brake one of them out of rehabilitation and bring him home with me. To heck with a handbag puppy.....I want a handbag Orang Utan!!!

Sooooooo cute!!!

Are you sure you want to be rehabilitated?????

Their view from the jungle...maybe this is not such a bad place to be rehabilitated...
Just "hanging" out together...
We decided to leave the "babies" in the jungle...

then and we went for a cold drink and a game of cards.....

Another full day on the island..

No comments: