Thursday, July 19, 2007

Remember the phrase "I'm melting" from the Wizard of OZ? Well....We're melting!!! It's hot and it is muggy and did I mention it is hot???


Yesterday we had the opportunity to visit with a photographer by the name of Mr. Wang. Mr. Wang is quite famous in Shanghai. His is mostly recognized by his company name, Gang of One, and his photos look very candid and are often of Chinese people in rural areas. I met him at the Community Center in May when he was giving a presentation. He is a very nice man and invited us to visit his studio while Tucker was in Shanghai this summer. He spent about an hour with Tucker, Abi and I talking about his work as a photographer, some of his assignments, and some technical camera stuff that went right over my head. He just returned from a photo shoot in Mongolia for the Lays potato chip company. You can visit his web site if you want to see his work at http://www.gangofone.com.cn/

It is a little after 9pm..... Tucker went to bed early tonight, Abi is deep into her "summer" reading, and Tim is guess what???.....on a conference call. Abi has to read two books for school next year (which starts in 26 days......Gulp!!!) and one of the books is Lonesome Dove. This is just a light read with only 850 pages!!!!.....of which she has read 21 pages. The new Harry Potter book comes out this Saturday so Tucker and Abi can "bond" while they enjoy their summer reading. A good activity for these hot hot days!!!

Tim is up to his eyeballs in work.....one of his supplier's factories is in Japan at the epicenter of the earthquake....and it sounds like there is going to be a dock workers strike that will cause more "issues". I don't know why he can not control these things???? ha ha!!!

I have finished a couple more quilts.....also a good activity for hot sticky days!!!

This is a smaller quilt that I am going to hang on the wall. It was an experiment to see if I could mix silk and cotton fabrics together. It worked pretty well, however.....the silk stretches so next time I will put interfacing on the back of the silk before I cut it. Hopefully the bright red will add some color to our very boring "apartment white" walls.

I am calling this my "Out of Africa" quilt in honor of Abi's trip to Africa this summer and because I thought the spots and strips in the fabric looked like animals from Africa. This was also an experiment using two different cutting techniques and it was great practice for machine quilting.

I have one more quilt that is ready to be "quilted" and then I can make some more tops!!! So many fabrics and ideas.........so little time!!!

No comments: