Tuesday, March 13, 2007

On Sunday evening, while I was balancing a tray of beads on my lap, I decided that I really missed my "work/craft" space. Right now all my supplies are sitting in piles on the floor and my sewing machines are starting to get dusty. So.....for the past two days I have been looking for some fun and functional furniture so I can set up my work space. The three f's....Fun Functional Furniture....and I will add one more F word....FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have reached the point where frustration is winning over perseverance. I am frustrated with price negotiations, the time it takes to do one thing on my list, language issues, and being treated differently because I am a white female. In the past two days I have been to many furniture stores. Only one store had prices on the items. All others....no prices....so if you want to buy something....you have to ask the price. This price varies depending on who you are. I can't exactly hide the fact that I am a foreigner. Foreigner is a frequently used term in China. I think it means....double the price and see if they go for it. My driver told me today that I pay too much for things......and I probably do.....but I am worn down. In some cases I really don't mind. For example...there is a small flower shop close to our house....it is run by a young couple that have a small baby. The first time I went into their store .... I picked out some flowers...and asked how much? The husband said something to the wife.....she got a sheepish look on her face and told me the price. It was inflated about 3 times what I had paid at another place. I started to object and then realized they needed the money far more than I did....so I paid it. The second time I went to their store....the price was much less. Then there is this kind of experience that makes me crazy.....Yesterday I went to a furniture store....I found two items that I liked...but.....I wanted to think about it.....measure my space....etc. As soon as I asked the price......she told me an amount and then said she would give me a 20% discount. This was a special discount only for me (because I am so special) and this was a great deal...blah blah blah. So today I went back to purchase a small table and suddenly the discount had already been taken off from a much higher price. What????? I wanted to scream. I did not buy the table (just on principle) and as I was leaving the store the price changed again!!! A little lower but still not the 20% discount that was promised.... Next time I want to buy something I am going to send my driver and I am going to wait in the car!!!!

No comments: