Thursday, March 15, 2007

Abi had a day out of school today for what we call "mental health day". We are both a little burned out on the whole Shanghai move thing so we decided to take a break. We started out early this morning for a hair appointment. I got my hair highlighted and then we went out for breakfast. We found a place called "the city diner" that serves Western style breakfast 24/7. We were so excited to find this place and order comfort food. Abi ordered pancakes and a basket of homemade breads, I ordered biscuits and gravy (I really meant comfort food) and we each had a side of bacon. You should have heard us eating our meal. We were so happy to have good food that tasted familiar we could not stop moaning. I think people were starting to stare. Bread is not a popular food item in Chinese culture so we have been craving good homemade bread. The basket came with four different samples of breads.....cornbread, sourdough, wheat, and a scone. And....the biscuit with my gravy was Divine!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Bacon is also hard to find. We have had it in restaurants but I have not be able to find it in the stores.
After breakfast I took Abi to the hotel restaurant supply store. She was in heaven looking at all the fun cooking and baking items. These are pictures in the store.....Need a strainer? They have all sizes.....Check out the wedding cake pedestal....ten layers!!! I bought some funky white tea pots and Abi got a turn table for decorating cakes.





Need white dishes?? This is the place to shop!
On the way back home we stopped by the "fake" market and picked up a few DVDs. Then we had what we call a "Gilmore girls" afternoon. We put on our pajamas, popped some corn, got some chocolate bars and sodas, closed the curtains and watched movies. AAhhhhhh!!! Some days you just need a break.....and we really enjoyed ours.

No comments: