Monday, September 24, 2007

The weather is very hot today in Shanghai. We took my parents to the airport this morning and I think it was a good day for them to be going home because it was hot and muggy as early as 9:00am. Tim was able to go with us to the airport so we took the Mag Lev (much faster way to get to the airport but not as easy to get luggage on and off without a lot of muscle)......and Tim was able to get seat upgrades to Econo Plus so Mom and Dad will have more leg room. I would say it was a very successful morning!!! We gave Mom and Dad instructions about the forms and lines they needed to get through and sent them through the gate. We have not heard from them so I think it is safe to say that they are on their way back to the US. They should be in Portland about 2:00pm tomorrow afternoon. I think they had a great trip and it was fun to share China and our crazy lives with them. Last night we had dinner at a German resturant on the river and we sat outside (the weather was wonderful) so we could watch the ships go by and the lights of the city come on. After dinner we walked down the pier and did some "people watching". People watching in China is fascinating.

Tim and I went to lunch together this afternoon and then he went to work and I met my quilting friends at a store that was having a quilt show. The show was small but it was nice to find another "resource" for sewing and quilting supplies.

I did not think I was tired but I came back home and took a nap and a hot bath. It was really nice!!!! Tim is taking part of the next two days off work so we are looking forward to spending some time together. Tomorrow is also Mid-Autumn Festival in China so we gave Xiao Zhang and Jan the day off. How will we survive????

Abi has texted us several times from Yunan and it sounds like she is having a great time. She is learning a lot about Tibetan culture so she should be able to share that with us next week as we all travel to Tibet. We will not hear from Abi for the next two days as she will be "treking" somewhere in the mountains.

I am not sure if I told you about our new driver. So much has happened in the past month that it is hard to keep it all straight. Anyway.....while I was in the US we got a new driver. Her name is Jan....she is about my age and has a son, age 20, attending university in Shanghai. This is Jan's first experience as an "expat" driver. She has been a taxi driver for several years and before that she worked in a factory. She is very funny and speaks very good English. Tim thinks there are too many women in our household now...ha ha!!!! I guess he is sort of out numbered....4 to 1. Jan was so cute with my parents....helping "grandma" in and out of the van every day.

Well....I am going to go and introduce myself to my sewing machine. It has been a long time since I have used it and I am afraid it has forgotten me. Ah....so many quilt designs in my head....so little time to make them!!!

PS: during the mid-Autumn festival it is customary to give your family and friends Moon Cakes. On the evening of the festival most families get together and and enjoy watching the moon and praying to the moon for good things to happen. We have not tasted moon cakes yet. They are very beautiful.....but....the first time I saw them I thought they were soap. From what I hear....soap may taste better than moon cakes. It is not considered rude to "regift" moon cakes to someone else (as long as you do it before the 25th).....I think it is like getting a fruit cake at Christmas time.....it is the gift that keeps on giving until it eventually comes back to you. I am fascinated with the packaging that hold moon cakes. The boxes are very elaborate and beautiful. As the "new China" emerges it is now acceptable to give your friends "moon cake" coupons. We got some Haagen Dazs coupons!!!! That is one we won't be "regifting"!!!!

No comments: