Thursday, September 13, 2007

I am very far behind on my "blogging"......so many activities.....so little writing time!!! I am going to be on a train to Beijing for the next 12 hours so I might get some more pictures up soon.. This is a finished version that I started a few days ago.....in this case...."yesterday" was Wednesday...
Yesterday was another full day. We started off the day by picking up two friends and going to Puxi for a meeting. The Shanghai American Women's Club was hosting a "membership" day and I needed to sign up and pay for a dinner that we will be attending. Again my Dad was the only man there....go figure?....(he is going to need some serious "male bonding time" when he goes home) and we only stayed long enough to turn in some forms. Oops!!! I was supposed to have my passport with me....it seems I never have that thing when I need it.....

Our next stop was the Shanghai Art museum. It is small but had an interesting exhibit about a boy that found an extraordinary birds egg. When the egg hatched a beautiful red bird emerged. The exhibit was a "walk through" and all the art work that told the story of the bird was made out of silk scarves.

The story was translated in English....thank goodness!!!...


The whole exhibit tells about the journey of the red bird....



All of these lanterns are made out of silk scarves.

A feather from the bird


The birds destiny was to travel around the world to help mankind understand each other.....(I think that was a very big job!!!...I don't even understand myself some times!!!)



In the end the bird dies and his feathers are turned into a piece of red silk that can not harmed by any "blade". In this display the silk ribbon was being magically pulled through the sword blades without being cut.

After the art museum we needed a cold drink. Starbucks was just around the corner....Thank God for Starbucks when you are in a far away land!!!! Behind Starbucks was a beautiful park....surprise!!! So......we wandered around the park for a while and were thoroughly entertained. So many things going on in the park....people exercising, playing cards, napping



People's Park


Seniors in the park playing cards

Mom and Dad standing in front of some very very tall water lilys

Rock formations at the park

Shanghai has very interesting architecture...here are some buildings that we could see from the park

More architecture

Water lily bloom....this was a very large bloom......I think it was about 10 inches wide

We had two interesting encounters in the park.....one was really fun and the other was a surprise....The fun encounter was with an older couple. They were walking through the park and the women was very curious about moms cane. They stopped to talk with us.....with my best Chinese (and the help of two college boys) we communicated with them...they wanted to know where we were from and how old my parents were.....it turns out they were the same age. I asked if we could take their picture...

Friends from the park

The second encounter in the park was very interesting....two girls approached us and wanted to know where we were from and how long we had been in Shanghai. They said they were college students. They asked what we had been doing and asked if we had been to a tea ceremony. They knew a great place and wondered if we would like to go with them.......ding ding ding....my "scam alarm" went off.....about two months about they arrested several people for the "tea scam". People were making friends with foreigners and then inviting them to a "special" tea ceremony.....then when the bill came it was outrageously expensive. One guy paid Y7000 and then went to the police......it turned out there were three tea houses at The Bund that were running this scam.......I guess there are a few more???

Next we were off to the hotel restaurant supply stores.......

Mom used to decorate wedding cakes so she was fascinated with these very tall wedding cake stands...10 layers anyone???

Shopping at the hotel restaurant supply store

Then we were off to Abi's volleyball game..... Abi is getting more playing time than she expected. She is improving everyday and we are having a lot of fun going to the games.

Abi at the net...

Great picture of Abi serving don't you think???? I think I need a high speed camera...

No comments: