Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I started to write about our trip last weekend several times and either my brain was dead or I got interrupted by something. I loaded the pictures on Sunday and they have been sitting in my drafts since then. So...I hope to get them published soon.

I have six hours of Chinese instruction a week and so far putting the book under my pillow at night is not helping me. So....I have been studying...not that that is helping either but at least I am making an effort. Something that I learned this week I find amusing. When I introduce Tim to someone I can call him Old Mr. Xi. (Xi is pronounced She...this is our Chinese surname) Tim does not find this quite as amusing as I do. Old in this case does not mean age it means the patriarch of the family or the oldest Mr. in our house. When Tim's parents visit he will give up this title to his Dad. Tucker would be the youngest Mr in the house so he is called Xiao Xi . Xiao (pronounced Shaow) means little or small. Little Tucker is sort of a oxymoron especially in China. I thought I was doing pretty well with the Chinese thing. Today I had to greet my teacher, welcome her into our home, introduce myself and my family to her and ask her what her name was. Well...I practiced and practiced and did fairly well and was feeling pretty smug. Then, on our way home from Tim's office this evening we were practicing our Chinese. Our driver said....Tim Chinese good....Abi Chinese good....Debbie Chinese no good. Very funny!!! Tim and Abi enjoyed this way too much. I think Mr. Zhang might only get a half hour lunch tomorrow!!

This has been a tough week. Nothing really specific just some more culture shock experiences and feeling home sick. According to what I read about Culture shock, month 3, this is very typical. However typical does not really make it any easier. Month 3-6 are supposed to be the hardest...Oh goodie!! It is good to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Here are some random thoughts and tidbits from Shanghai

Tim's work group often go to a nice Chinese restaurant within walking distance of our apartment. Part of the menu has English translations....here are some of the items on the menu
Cow Stomach
Chicken palms and Chicken feet (Chicken feet are very common and you can buy these in the market)
Turtle
Dog (yes it really says this...I am hoping something got lost in translation)
Bull Penis (nothing goes to waste here)
By the way...Tim has not eaten any of the above named items

Spitting and picking your nose are acceptable behaviors and are not considered bad manners. Abi has a name for the nose picking thing.......pick and flick

Peeing on the sidewalk is very common and the other day during my walk I almost bumped into a pee-er. This totally grossed me out and I could not wait to get home and take a hot shower.

Toddlers often have bare bums showing because their pants are split in the bottom making it easy to .....you know what. This is actually sort of cute

Cars are very expensive, drivers are very inexpensive

Pedestrians do not have the right away even if the "walk" light is green

People eat whole cucumbers like a snack...sort of like we eat apples


Okay that is all I can think of for now......

No comments: