Thursday, May 20, 2004

Backpacking trip...

The week before I went to Ohio for the book photo shoot, I went backpacking with my husband and some friends from Corvallis Oregon. This is our second annual backpacking trip. This year we flew to Las Vegas (the temperature was 107 when we arrived, last year at this same time it was snowing) and then drove through Zion National Park and east to Page AZ. Our destination was Piria Canyon. It is a 40 mile hike from White House Trailhead to Lees Ferry Trailhead. We did this in four days with everything on our backs. Can you imagine...no cell phones, no pagers, no STARBUCKS, or nail salons for four days! YIKEs!! It was truly an incredible experience. In some areas the canyon walls were 800 feet tall and only about 20 feet wide. We crossed the Piria river numerous times. The area is incredibly beautiful and you can only get to it by hiking. I was inspired by the colors of the sandstone. I think I will paint our family room this summer "Navajo Sandstone". I had to purchase new boots this year so I was worried about blisters. I spend several weeks breaking in the boots before we left for the trip. Lucky..Me..No blisters. Here is the funny thing....While I was in Ohio doing research (this is what I call shopping) I got a blister from my flip flops. I guess next time I will have to break in the flip flops before I attempt any strenuous shopping...I mean research!!

No comments: