Monday, January 29, 2007

First Day of School

Today was Abi's first day of school. She was excited and nervous as we drove to her school this morning. When we arrived we were greeted by the wonderful admissions director. She took Abi's picture and had her fill out some forms. Abi got her schedule and then we went upstairs to meet with the Geometry teacher. He was running late so we went back downstairs to meet the IT guy. He gave Abi her new computer and a very quick tutorial about the Concordia computer system. Then we went to buy uniform tops and put money on the computer system for lunches. Poor Abi had six people helping her with uniform shirts all giving their opinions on colors and sizes. By this time she was feeling a little overwhelmed and a little teary. Of course that was all I needed to start my tears rolling. After getting a slight grip on our emotions we went back upstairs to get a revised schedule and a locker assignment. The scheduling at this school is a little challenging because they have 7 different days in a cycle and each day has a different set of classes. We left Abi with a very nice lady from the high school office. She was going to introduce Abi to a student that would walk her to all of her classes. Abi was very brave and I cried all the way back to the car. You would have thought it was her first day of kindergarten.

Tim and I found a Starbucks, ordered coffee and I had a good (long over due) cry. I am sure I looked like an idiot but who cares I don't know anyone here yet!!!!!! While we were having coffee a couple asked where we were from and started a conversation with us. I think I may have made my first friend today. :)

Before we left the States I read about a Community Center in Pudong that offers support to expats in Shanghai. They also offer a variety of classes and they have a coffee group!!!! The couple in Starbucks told us where it was located and we went to find it. We have passed it several times on our way to Abi's school and did not even know.....Go figure!!! We found many very nice people all willing to help us with many things. I have already emailed with two of them and we are planning to take a class at the center for newcomers to China.

Our big "business" accomplishment for the day was to finish our paperwork at the Entry-Exit Authority and to meet with our China tax consultant. Our tax consultant was very nice and went to school in PA in the US. Wow!!! Income tax is very high in China.

Tonight we had an adventurous dinner. Chinese food (surprise!) at a resturant in the neighborhood. Abi is experimenting with new foods and I am very impressed with her new found willingness to try things. I have eaten many things in the last few days that I can not identify. Some times ignorance is bliss.

Abi and Tim are practicing mandarin as I am writing this and it is really hilarious!!! Our driver was tutoring us in Chinese on the way home from school today. He also thought we were hilarious.

I loaded my new quilt design program on my computer yesterday and I am really enjoying working through the tutorial.

We tried two times yesterday to buy cell phones without success. Shall we say communication break down!!! Mr. Wu is going with us tomorrow so we can get phones for Abi and I. It is really weird how much I miss my phone.

No comments: